BYLAWS OF ORGANIZATION FOR WOUND CARE NURSES (OWCN)
January 1, 2013
By Laws of Organization for Wound Care Nurses:
Article I : Name
The name of this organization / association shall be the Organization for Wound Care Nurses ( “OWCN”). A volunteer & not for profit private association / organization located in the State of Texas, U.S.A.
Article II : Purpose
The purpose of OWCN is to develop and promote the highest standards of Wound Care Nursing, enhance professional growth through education and research, facilitate communication through members, and promote interdisciplinary collaboration. In addition, the purpose of OWCN is also to provide a forum for learning and sharing, serving as a resource for Wound Care Nursing information for other health care professionals, and functioning as a support system for members. Establish and maintain a national process for certification of qualified licensed nurses as Wound Care Nurse (“W.C.N.”).
The OWCN shall grant “W.C.N.” status to those licensed nurses who successfully pass the OWCN written and hands on skills Examination. Such licensed nurses shall be referred to as “ Wound Care Nurse” and shall be entitled to use the title “Wound Care Nurse” and the designation W.C.N.
Article III: Objectives
In addition to the purposes stated above, OWCN endeavors to support the philosophy and purpose of the association through the objectives adopted by the Board of Directors as Policy from time to time.
Article IV: Membership
A member shall be a licensed, registered, practical or vocational nurse in any country, involved or interested in the wound care nursing. Membership is free and based on volunteer basis. Membership may be revoked, suspended or terminated based on any disciplinary action of the granting licensing board against the license of a member nurse.
Article V: Board of Directors
1. The Board of Directors shall consist of the President, Secretary, and two Assistant Directors.
1. The Board of Directors shall supervise and manage the activities of the OWCN in accordance with the Bylaws, Policy and directives.
1. The President shall be the principle elected officer of OWCN and shall be responsible to the Board of Directors and may serve as the official representative of OWCN. President shall be elected by the board of directors each year.
2. The Assistant Directors shall assume the duties of the President in the President’s absence.
3. The Secretary shall be responsible for maintenance of the records of OWCN. The Secretary shall perform additional duties as delegated by the Board of Directors. The Secretary may volunteer for four year term.
4. The Assistant directors may volunteer for four year term.
1. Members of the Board of Directors must be licensed nurses.
1. At least two regular meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held each year, Board members must be given not less than one month written or electronic notice of all meetings. Board members who are absent from two consecutive meetings without written notice shall be removed from the Board of Directors, unless otherwise excused by the Board.
1. Board of Director vacancies shall be filled by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors. A vacancy of the President’s office may be filled by the Assistant Directors upon the completion of the term.
Article II : Purpose
The Board of Directors may establish and dissolve Committees as needed to accomplish the purposes of OWCN. Executive committee will be responsible for planning of OWCN educational activities.
Article VII: Local Chapters
Local chapters shall exist for the purpose of furthering the objectives and purposes of the OWCN by a local organization of members who reside within a given geographic area. Membership of local chapters shall be composed exclusively of the members of the Association as defined in these Bylaws. The Board of Directors may grant charters for local chapters of OWCN upon review of the application form and Chapter Bylaws to assure they are not in conflict with National Bylaws and Policies.
Article VIII: Non-Discrimination
The OWCN shall not adopt any policy, practice, or procedure which results in discrimination on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
Article IX: Indemnification
OWCN is a private, volunteer, and not for profit association not responsible against any claims by any parties arising from conduct of its members or officers under this bylaws. OWCN volunteer officers and members shall volunteer in accordance with the local, state, and federal laws.
Article IX: Amendments
These Bylaws may be altered, amended, or new bylaws may be adopted, provided that the resulting Bylaws of the OWCN are consistent with the applicable laws.